Saturday, June 6, 2009

I'm turning into an old woman!

Eheu! I thought I was being good about not being too sedentary over the past two days, but I was just shifting positions and I realized that I suddenly have the feet of an old woman. My veins are popping out and now I'm terribly worried. Was it due to poor blood circulation or just lack of sleep? Is the 48 Hour Book Challenge really worth it? Maybe I should be afraid to look in the mirror because I might now have gone totally grey. Needless to say, I may be walking around the apartment for the next few hours just to make sure the blood is circulating. Eep!

So, some book reviews because it has been a while?


9) Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

I know, I know. It should be considered shocking that I haven't read this series yet. I'm kind of tossed as to how much I actually like the books. They are fun reads, but, they do sometimes seem to drag a bit. And, I kind of want to smack Shay around a bit.

Page count: 425


10) Pretties by Scott Westerfeld

Especially in this one. Shay needs a bit of a smack down. The plot reminds me a bit of Tanith Lee's Biting the Sun. I guess with the whole tribe of youngsters who get to be pretty and yet some are disallusioned. But, maybe that's me. I seem to really like saying that these books I'm reading remind me of others these days.

Page count: 370


11) North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley

Another book I had to argue with Marina to send down. I've read her other two books and really enjoyed them, so, of course, I wanted to read this one as well. I was not disappointed, even though this story seemed to share the plot with both the daughter, Terra, and her mother and how they both develop and mature over the course of the story. I was so cheering for her mom! And very much disliking her father and older brother. Boo!

Page count: 373


12) The Dog in the Manger by Lope de Vega (trans. by David Johnson)

I will not lie, I adore this play. I saw it twice at Shakespeare Theatre in DC this winter I liked it that much. Though, it is probably just the one based on this translation. I mean, how can you not love a show that has lines like, "Late again, missing all the fun, like a virgin at an orgy." My friend actually had that line made up as a shirt for me (which I still haven't found a proper place to wear it to). I adore Tristan! And I do so adore Marcela, betrayed by love. So, yes, call me dorky, but I had to go out and buy this script after seeing the show I liked it so well.

Page count: 125

Total pages read: 3227

And, I'm in the midst of Geek Charming by Robin Palmer at the moment. 8 1/2 hours left. I'm so not going to fall asleep for all 48 hours. I haven't taken a break at all (unless you count potty breaks) so I'm so greatful that we can take time to look at other's blogs. It's been a real lifesaver for my sanity. I can't wait to see the outside world starting tomorrow morning at 8! Well, rather at 3pm once I'm done sleeping (unless I'm so totally exhausted that I can't sleep).

No comments: